Saturday, January 5, 2008

Le train de nuit (The night train)

December 21st we headed off for our Christmas holiday on Le train de nuit. You never know how long it's going to take in Paris traffic so we left 5 hours early. We made it to the train station with time to spare so we made a quick walk to the Sacre Coeur. From the stairs we had one last look at Paris before our journey to Germany.




I think we made quite a sight at the Gare du Nord station. It was no small feat lugging 4 giant suitcases, 5 backpacks, a stroller and 6 people onto the train. We had about 10 minutes to get to our platform and climb aboard.





Le train de nuit was a thrill for all of the kids. We had one cabin with 6 bunks and no room to spare. This was one time that "close quarters" brought huge smiles. As the whistle blew and the train started it's 12 hour journey to Hamburg Germany we could hardly contain our excitement!




Spencer & I were sent to the dining car to get midnight snacks. It felt like we were in a "James Bond" movie as we lept from car to car. We came back with water, Twix candy bars and rolls. I think we could have returned with rocks and still had smiles from the gang.



Clara opted for the top bunk. Lilly decided that she wanted to sleep next to me so it was a snug fit. Once we were all tucked in and the train was chugging along everyone fell asleep...well everyone except for me and Taylor. Every jolt and stop of the train seemed to keep us in a wakeful sleep. I finally drifted off and woke up because I was cold. I reached down to pull up the blanket only to realize that Lilly had wet the bed! She hasn't had a night-time accident in almost a year so I was very shocked! It didn't seem to ruin her nights sleep so carefully I crawled out of that bunk and into Lilly's empty one.

1 comment:

natalie said...

i would love that train ride! that sounds amazingly fun. of course you felt like you were james bond, cause you are janet bond! ha ha ha.