Tuesday, January 29, 2008

la bibliothèque (the Library)

I have always loved going to the la bibliothèque. When I was young I would ride my bike to the Holladay library and gather as many books as I could carry home. I hope I have passed that same excitement to my children. Today we ventured to la Bibliothèque Municipale de Fontainebleau with our friends the Benoit's. Iwona was nice enough to invite us and she helped me find my way around all of the books. It is a strange feeling to be surrounded by lots of great books, yet I don't have the ability to read them. I felt very illiterate. The girls were able to find a few books to practice their French skills. The books we checked out were for very young, very beginner readers. I'm anxious to see if we can move up the reading chart with continued trips to la bibliothèque.
Iwona was showing me several different book series that we might find interesting. This particular book is called "Lili trouve sa maitresse mechante" - translated it means a little trouble with the mean teacher! I said to Iwona, "only in France would you find a book with that subject." We laughed and laughed because it's true. If you have read any of my other posts you know how there are many French school teachers who are not kind. At least they have authors and psychologists writing books to help the children cope with such issues!

1 comment:

natalie said...

that looks like a funny book! i am sure olivia misses reading since this summer we read soooo much!