Monday, January 7, 2008

Etudiant de Exchange (Foreign Exchange Student)

I didn't get a chance to finish writing about our Christmas adventures, but it will just have to wait until next week when I return from my next adventure.....Today I started an intensive week long language course in the south of France. Yes; at the ripe old age of 40 I am a foreign exchange student. Sunday morning I left with my good friend Tifiny Reed. We took the fast train to Montpiellier. It took us about 3 hours and every minute of scenery was breathtaking. Upon our arrival we called our host mother Magali and she met us at the train station all smiles & hugs. She rode her bike and her husband followed in the car. We drove to the house with Gilbert. It was a funny drive as he had the radio blaring so he wouldn't have to make small talk. He turned the tv on first thing when we got to the house. Luckily his shyness didn't last and he has become quite talkative. Gilbert fixed quite an interesting lunch: a big bowl of spaghetti noodles (no sauce), baguette and an omlette that looked like a smooshed crepe. While the lunch was colorless the conversation was not. Somehow we were able to talk and communicate beyond the typical please and thank yous. Both Gilbert and Magali have been really kind and helpful so I think our stay at their home will work out just fine.

Classes started this morning. I had to take a 45 minute placement test. It was difficult and I basically failed. They stuck me and Tifiny with the very beginners. After living in France for 4 months we are NOT beginners. Well it was fun to be in a class where we knew the answers, but that's not what I came for soooo tomorrow I move up and I'm sure I'll be sweating it out. I hope for now Taylor and the kids are surviving as today was their first day back at school.

2 comments:

natalie said...

fun! sounds like quite the adventure!

Amazed said...

Wow! A school girl! What if you don't get picked? What if no one sits by you in the lunch room? What if your french sounds like mine? Now THAT would be scary! I'm excited for you in this new adventure!