Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Trocsavoirs (Knowledge Exchange)

Somehow I got roped into going to a Trocsavoirs (knowledge exchange) group dinner tonight. My good friend Tifiny has been on the hunt for language classes. Last week she found herself at a community center being interviewed by several retired people. They are part of a community exchange group that shares skills and knowledge. Tifiny was invited to come to their dinner social and see if there was an option for language classes.

As per our invitation we were to bring a drink and dish to share with the group, our own plate, knife & fork. Taylor was willing to baby-sit all of the kids since Tifiny's husband is not in town right now. We drove to the town of Avon in the dark and remarkably found the place without any difficulty. I must admit I was a bit disappointed feeling nervous and secretly hoping we wouldn't find our way so we could go home. We were laughing as we sat in the car watching people at least 20 years older than us march into the house. We were definately not at the typical ex-pat party. That first step in the door was nerve wracking. It seemed that everyone stopped and stared. They were friendly and let us know we were welcome. One little man (reminded me of a leprachan) asked Tifiny if she had found a French teacher. When she said, "not yet" he responded, "you have now!" I don't think he's what she had in mind. Another man kept asking me about Ireland and my interest in Irish music. I couldn't figure this out as I don't look Irish or speak with a particularly Irish accent. I just nodded and said I thought Irish music was great.

We started eating and of course there was lots of bread, quiche & cheese on the table. A woman named Irene came and asked me if I had tried the spinach quiche. I said, "yes it was delicious." Thankfully that was the right answer. She had made the quiche and just minutes earlier another woman ate a piece and said it was not good and it gave her a headache. Irene was a bit distraught. She started telling me how she really labored over this recipie and even ground fresh nutmeg. Remember I don't really speak that much French so this is all very amusing to me. Irene got very friendly and started teaching me new words and phrases. She said, "I can be your French teacher if you like!" At one point she said, "Oh excuse me while I run over and get some cheese before it is gone!" She cut a huge piece of camembert cheese and put it on my plate with some bread. Then she said, "Il ne faut pas manger du fromage le soir!" (one should never eat cheese in the night!) Why is this she asked? I'm glad I knew the answer, "because you will get fat!" She told me, "I never eat cheese at night, but this night I will make an exception." I'm wondering if this is a cardinal rule that French women follow? Is that how they manage to stay thin?

After the eating and exchange of emails and phone numbers (I'm taking Irene up on those French lessons!) we left. Maybe not the best protocol, but the next part of the evening was devoted to water conservation and since it was raining we figured why conserve?!

No comments: