Monday, October 15, 2007

Notre-Dame

Paris has been touted as the "cultural capital of Europe". Saturday we started our family quest to see as many of these cultural sights as we can during our year in France. We were astounded to find out that the construction of Notre-Dame began in 1163 and finished in 1345. Just to be able to walk into a building that is 864 years old is amazing!
Did you know that gargoyles represent people stuck between heaven and earth. I can see why heaven won't let them in!
Since Victor Hugo's character Quasimodo was fictional, we wondered who really had the job of ringing the bells every hour. It took us 400 steps up to reach the bell.
Here is a quiz: These are the hours of business for?
A) A pastisserie
B) A coin-op laundry
C) The restroom outside the cathedral of Notre-Dame
D) None of the above
The correct answer to the quiz is: C) The restroom outside Notre-Dame.

Only in France with this crowd of people would you close the bathroom for lunch!

1 comment:

Amazed said...

Oh, I'm so envious. When I was about 10, I started writing a "novel" and it took place in Paris so I spent hours "researching." And you're THERE! Lucky ducky! And that is hysterical about the bathrooms! I wrote a poem once about Gargoyles. I'llhave to send it to you.....