Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Marche Nordique (Nordic March)






A beautiful fall morning. It was the perfect day go "marching" through the forest of Fontainebleau. The forest is huge and very dense. You really don't walk alone and it's always best to take a map so you don't get lost. I have wondered a time or two when I have ventured out on my own if I should leave bread crumbs along the path. But then again I don't want to attract the wild boar or foxes that roam the forest. There are countless walking groups that take excursions. I have joined a Nordic walking group. They meet two days a week and walk in the fashion of cross-country skiing. It's amazing how using poles can enhance your work-out.


We are lead by an instructor. Everything is in French so I try to listen, but mostly I'm just watching and following the group. She does warm-ups and then starts us walking. Today we went through some steep rock formations and had a wonderful view of the forest. My good friend Tifiny was there to walk alongside with. It was the perfect start to the day.

2 comments:

Nancy Bea Miller said...

I wish I was there walking with you Janet! xox NB

Amazed said...

Valene just gave me your blog address and I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! Wht a dream! Did anyone speak any French before the move? I want you to pay attention to the figs...we have a fig tree in our greenhouse and I usually just cut them off so they don't make a mess. It is because I don't know exactly the moment to pick them, plus the ooey-gooey latex that oozes from the stem (I guess if they aren't ready) and also I have heard they cut your digestive system loose. I'd love to learn the facts. And find some recipes, if possible! Oh, the walking sounds incredible! You might start writing poetry! Yeah!
your cyber friend, Marilyn Williams